Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tutorial: Scripture tote

If you're scrambling for a last minute gift for your daughter, mother, sister, or friend, this is a simple but useful homemade one. The first one I ever made was actually for a boy, so if there's a guy in your life who could use one, give it a try using appropriate colors/ribbon(handle material) and embellishments! Sorry for all the super bright pics, I didn't have a chance to edit them and I knew if I didn't post this while I had the chance, it probably wouldn't happen :)
Materials Needed:
1 placemat
2 yards of ribbon
needle (or hot glue gun) and matching thread
flower/other embellishments
Directions:
1. Lay placemat horizontally and place your ribbon 2-3 inches from the side in straight line, and sew down both side of your ribbon.
2. Repeat on the other side, just make sure to use the same measurements.

3. Decide how long you want your handles and pin them on the opposite side (wrong side/inside) of the placemat. Turn under about an inch of the ribbon from the bottom to reinforce and keep from the ribbon fraying. Sew each side of your handles on. Make sure to reinforce or sew over a couple times so it's nice and strong! Nobody likes breaking handles ;)
4. Fold placemat in half, so handles meet, and sew a straight line down each side5. Fold your corners the opposite way so it looks like this: (kinda hard to put into words, or it's just late and I need sleep)
6. Sew a straight line across your corner, about 2 inches down from the tip.
7. This is what the bottom should look like after you sew the corners:
8. You're almost done! Sewing is out of the way, easy right?! Now turn your tote right side out, and add embellishments.

9. For silk flowers, I take them apart, completely discard the plastic parts, then reassemble the layers again. Hand stitch your flower on the front of your tote. On this tote, I added a pearl for the center which can be hand stitched, or hot glued on there. I've even hot glued my flowers on, but if you do that, glue each layer one at a time.
There are endless possibilities, have fun!
Merry Christmas :)
Linking up to:
Keeping it simple
Craftastic Monday- Sew Can Do
*Brittney*

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made them! I'm sure they will love the clocks. And thanks for this tute, I was trying to come up with another little sister gift, perfect!
    http://rosyredbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous tutorial and GREAT pics. I really want to try this!!
    Marry Christmas!!
    ~Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay the font is super tiny and I am kind of blind.... MERRY is how that is supposed to be spelled. ha ha

    ReplyDelete